Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Shins: Port of Morrow

I cannot claim to be the biggest Shins fan in the world.  I liked their earlier stuff, and I really thought the Wincing album was good, not exactly a ballsy rock explosion or Sebadoh III or anything, but pretty good.  Well, I am off the Shins train with Port of Morrow.  As it turns out, a James Mercer solo album would be pretty boring even compared to previous Shins stuff.  I know that firing the drummer has a long and ignominious history in 'indie' rock--see Asylum, Soul--but sooner or later these tinpot bandleaders have to realize that they are getting something useful from the input of other musicians even if one or more of those musicians aren't up to whatever masturbatory bullshit they think is keen on any particular day.  If previous Shins material was a bit laid back, the new album is flat and lifeless, with far too few surprises to be compelling.  I've never heard the Wiggles, but I would imagine Port of Morrow would make great children's music, as long as your children like pussified, boring pop music.

No comments:

Post a Comment